[recommended music: #152, "skinny love" by bon iver. because it's mesmerizing and lovely. who cares what it even means...]
location: next to a bowl of bowtie noodles
what i see: my bowtie noodles
here's the deal.
i read many, many books.
i like many, many authors.
but i may ... have chosen a favorite. simply for the simple way he writes. it's like reading the thoughts from my own head. enchanting, darling, endearing and, yes, simple.
introducing: a.a. milne. beloved creator of christopher robin and his 100-acre posse, including a certain stout little bear with a rumbly tumbly. (speaking of bowtie noodles...)
in no particular order, 12 reasons for my undying adoration:
1. never forget me - because if i thought you would, i'd never leave.
2. promise me you'll always remember: you're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.
3. "when you wake up in the morning," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"what's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "what do you say, Piglet?"
"i say, 'i wonder what's going to happen exciting today?'" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
"it's the same thing," he said.
4. if you live to be a hundred, i want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so i never have to live without you.
5. my spelling is Wobbly. it's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
6. he respects Owl, because you can't help respecting anyone who can spell Tuesday, even if he doesn't spell it right.
7. what i say is that, if a fellow really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.
8. one of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries. (stop thinking this applies to me. you stop that right now. ...okay it totally applies...)
9. the more he looked inside, the more Piglet wasn't there.
10. when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
11. "supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"supposing it didn't," said Pooh.
after careful thought, Piglet was comforted by this.
12. weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.
enchanting. darling. endearing. simple.
all my favorite adjectives.
soooo going on my christmas list:
p.s. what is it that's so lovely about books with ribbon placemarkers?